Wednesday, April 29, 2015

More than ever, we love Baltimore


From the title of my blog, 'Baltimore You Are Marvelous,' readers of my words and viewers of my pictures understand that I am fiercely loyal to my city - Baltimore. And I am not alone. The people I know, and thousands of others I do not have the pleasure of knowing, also are fiercely loyal to the city they love.  Whether the city is riding a wave of optimism because of the thriving arts scene in Station North, businesses sprouting from the creativity of its residents, the reuse of old mill buildings, or the successful bicentennial celebration of the end of the War of 1812, they love it and will continue to support it as we all struggle to figure out how to make things right when confronting the reality that many of Baltimore's residents have not shared in recent positive changes. (Photo shows the American Visionary Art Museum)
The people who build their lives either wholly or in part within its borders - the people who live, work, go to school, open businesses, create art, play sports, restore buildings, walk through parks, sit on stoops - are the lifeblood of this city. They have a shared history, a common present, and intertwined hopes for the future. The people I know want Baltimore to be a place where all residents can thrive. (Photo shows the Tuesday Market in Hamilton/Lauraville)
 
This city is filled with loving, determined and talented people from all walks of life, and as I write this, they are participating in peaceful marches, opening the doors to their shops, supporting local businesses, sweeping streets, hosting arts and crafts hours and providing meals for children while school is closed, providing meals for first responders, and planting flowers. People far more eloquent than I have expressed their love and hope for Baltimore in recent days. I just wanted to add my two cents. (Photo of Patterson Park, Courtesy of Diana Sugg)


2 comments:

  1. Just seeing your pics, Kristen, and they bring a smile. A big smile! It's so important to bookend this week's saturation TV coverage with images of the real Baltimore. Charm City indeed! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should have looked for your blog earlier. I'm not a bit surprised that you managed to find so many positive reminders about the Baltimore we love for your readers. Thanks for sharing your upbeat message!

    ReplyDelete